3 Dec 2012

Crispy Noodle Wrapped Sausages + Confetti Couscous


I giggled at myself when I first posted a picture of the Crispy Noodle Wrapped Sausages on Instagram. Not because of the photo, but how ridiculously fancy sounding my favourite childhood snack is in English. "Crispy Noodle Wrapped Sausages" definitely sounds better than "Sosis Gulung Mi" . Hahahah!

I remember the first time I ate this unhealthy-ly addictive snack back in elementary school where my cook at home saw the recipe and she decided to make these little funny looking things for me and I loved it to bits! I had them at home while I watch the telly and sometimes packed in my lunchbox .As usual, my mom was against this kind of food. Red+ food colouring packed + unknown-meat-mashed-together- sausages, wrapped in the world famous unhealthy instant noodle (indomie FTW!) and then fried. Oh the irony.

And here I am, 13 years later, living alone in Australia, eating it again! I did this by trying to remember how she used to make it and I find it embarrassingly easy to pull off. Not even sure if its worthy to be written as a recipe. I don't have any instant noodle at home (which I'm quiet proud of because by doing this, I'm not making a habit of consuming instant pre-packed noodles) so I used Hakubaku Organic Ramen noodles instead. Still using normal red sausages though.. Might want to try making these with other healthier variety of sausage but I don't know if it will hold its shape once I cut the tips to make a flower shape.

Crispy Noodle Wrapped Sausages
Makes 5

Ingredients:

  • 5 cocktail sausages
  • 1 serving of Hakubaku ramen noodle
  • Canola Oil for frying
  • Salt and Pepper

1. Cook the noodle according to the instructions on its packaging (4 minutes on a rapidly boiling water, discard the cold water and dunk it into cold water then drain well. Add a dash of salt and pepper, mix well and set aside.
2. Cut both ends of the cocktail sausages with a cross pattern, make sure the cut is deep enough (so when the sausage's cooking, the sections can spread out and form a sort-of-a flower shape)

3. Heat up some oil (don't need too much oil, just make sure it's enough to cover one side of the cocktail sausages) on medium heat and put the cocktail sausages in the hot oil.
4. Rotate each sides of the cocktail sausages every 2 minutes or until the noodle turns golden brown and crispy while the sausages are cooked (the flower cuts are spread).
5. When they're done, drain away the excess oil on a paper towel. Serve

ps. It tastes really nice when it's warm but it can also be a occasional treat in a lunchbox !


--------

Confetti Couscous
2-3 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup of couscous
  • 1/2 cup of kettle boiled water
  • 1 chicken stock (cube)
  • 1/4 cup diced carrots
  • 1/4 cup diced green beans
  • 1/2 length streaky bacon (diced)
  • 1 tsp olive oil

1. Dissolve the chicken stock in the boiling water then pour it over couscous and cover for a few minutes (according to the time specified on the packaging). 
2. On a skillet, heat up the olive oil on medium heat then add the bacon bits. Stir it around until the fat comes out (be careful! It does splat a lot!)
3. Add the carrots and green beans and cook until tender. 
4. When they're all cooked, turn of the heat and tip the couscous over to the skillet and give it a good stir, making sure that the couscous is coated with the oil and fat from the bacon. 



Easy peasy ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment