17 Jan 2013

Peachy Peach

I have an obsession with peach recently, both the real fruit and (gasp) the artificial flavourings.
No wonder why I always go for the peach green tea with pearls on a very hot day at a bubble tea joint.
My first trial with real peach fruit didn't came out as I wanted.
I made a peach and almond slice.
I chose peaches that are a bit too young and not sweet and juicy enough. Sigh.
But the cake itself turned out pretty well despite the un-juicy fruit.
I should pay more attention on how to pick the right fruits next time.


My next experiment with peach involves a slightly different version of peach, the canned ones!
I have no problem with canned goods.
You see, canned tuna? Canned chopped tomatoes? They're all good.
But I do limit myself and only buy them when needed.
And I NEEDED those canned peaches.
I needed something cheap that makes up a simple dessert for my weekend that allows me to use the ingredients I have at home.
I have puff pastry, I have sliced almond and almond meal.. Peach galette it is.

Peach Galette
(adapted from Taste )

Ingredients

  • 400 gr canned peaches , drained and cut thinly (each piece into two)
  • 1 tbsp almond meal
  • 1 tbsp sliced almonds, slightly toasted
  • 1 sheet of store bought puff pastry, defrozen
  • white sugar
  • icing sugar
  • thickened cream for serving
1. Pre-heat the oven on 200 degree celcius and line a baking pan with baking paper
2. Pat and drain the peaches well on a paper towel. Set aside
3. Cut the puff pastry sheet into half, put it on the lined baking pan
4. Sprinkle the centre of the pastry sheet (leaving about 1 cm borders on each side) with some sliced almonds and almond meal.
5. Carefully arrange the peach slices in 2 rows (remember to leave 1cm borders on each side!) and sprinkle some white sugar on the top.
6. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until pastry it's puffed and golden.
7. Cool it on the pan for a few minutes, dust with icing sugar before serving and alongside a healthy dollop (!?) of thickened cream.

Mine needed more sugar in my opinion, but the cream really saves the day.

--------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment