28 Apr 2013

Ginger Milk + DONATION needed!

Holy Macaroni.. 
I feel bad for neglecting this blog.
I'm just too busy with uni life I suppose and I don't cook as much.
I still cook, but nothing fancy and blog-worthy in my opinion.
Just simple, every-day food for a student on a go. ha!
Oh, I just found the joy of eating quinoa. 
I made fried-rice quinoa a few days ago, I think I might post the recipe soon. so hang in there!

And for now, I'm just going to post something fairly easy, it's a no brainer.
My friend kept telling me stories about this "ginger milk" he used to have back in his school days and he's obsessed with it. Until now...
I was excited when I heard his stories but the excitement went away when he said it was made out of those packaged-powdery-God-knows-what's-inside-stuff you buy in supermarkets.
But then again, judging from its name, it's literally ginger and milk.
It can't be that hard, right?
So I got into my kitchen and did an experiment, without even knowing the initial taste of the powdered version.
I googled 'ginger milk' before I did the experiment and found some recipes that sounds really spicy and lovely but they're using ingredients that I don't have at home so I just made this one up.
But I'm sure this one is pretty tasty too!



Ginger Milk
serving: 1

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 mug of low fat milk (you can use full cream of course)
  • about 1/2 a thumb-size fresh ginger, cleaned and peeled
  • 2 tsp white sugar
  • sprinkle of cinnamon
  • honey, if desired
1. cut the ginger into two smaller chunks and then bash them with a knife, set aside
2. In a small saucepan, pour the milk in and add the ginger, warm it up on low heat. We want the milk to simmer, not boil. Let the ginger infuses itself into the milk
3. Add the white sugar and stir until dissolved
4. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon, stir. 
5. Simmer for 2 minutes. I like to give it a taste along the way and adjust the sweetness. 
6. Turn it off the heat and prepare your mug with a small strainer on top of it. Pour the milk through the strainer to get rid of the ginger and excess froth the milk got from over-boiling. 
7. Add some honey if you want and enjoy while it's warm!

I'm not sure if this come close to the original one but hey, this one is healthier without any chemicals nor preservaties and it tastes good too so I'm not complaining. 
I got stamp of approval from my friend too (although he said it needs more ginger).

I put 1 1/4 mug of milk because I realise that the milk evaporates really quickly (even on low heat) and 1 mug of milk will only make 3/4 mug .. so that's why I added the additional 1/4 mug because I like my ginger milk to be full to the top!

This is really nice for a cold chilly winter nights because it warms you up as soon as you sip it. 
Apology for not having a picture of the final product, didn't get a chance to snap a photo of it. So for the time being, please enjoy these photos of ginger and 2 glasses of milk being splattered everywhere that I got from Google.  




------------------------------------------------



If you don't know, 
I picked up a new hobby probably 2 months ago. 
RUNNING. 
well,
JOGGING.

Since I bought my first pair of Nike Free Run 3+ which by the way -IS the most awesome running shoes ever-, I decided to start running to improve my health.
I was such a lazy couch potato. I can spend my entire day infront of my laptop, literally. 
But I decided to get healthier and that's what keeps me going. 
I didn't start to jog solely because I want to lose weight, I just want to be healthier and I believe the weight loss will soon follow. 
I slip some jogging time between my hectic uni life (especially with the assignment deadlines coming) and never felt better. 
Not sure if I'm losing that much weight but as long as my body is happy, I'm happy!

I'm participating in Mother's Day Classic 8k run this upcoming May 12, supporting breast cancer research and would like to spread this awesome news about the fundraising I'm doing.

Since I will be challenging myself in this event, I really wish you guys could sponsor me by donating some money to support this cause ! 
It's always good to help people in need, please don't hesitate to do so! 

Just click on the link here and it'll take you to my page. Then, click the "sponsor me" button for further processing. 


All the money will go straight to the breast cancer research funds. 
No gimmicks, no nothing. 

I hope you guys participate in this and God bless!!!


ps. Pray for me that I will not faint in the middle of the run . lol.
pss. I think you still can join the walk/run if you want! Click here to go to Mothers' Day Classic website!






No comments:

Post a Comment