26 May 2013

Coca Cola Chicken Wings

I think I just break one promise that I made for myself in the beginning of 2013.
I promised I will not eat potato chips, instant noodles and sodas for the whole year..
I don't know why I made that promise but I guess it's one of those new year resolutions that I really want to achieve.
Speaking of new year resolutions, it' funny how "losing weight" is always on my new year resolution list, I can't seem to achieve it.

Anyway..
Chips is probably one of the most difficult thing for me to pass up, but I have not touched them for almost half a year so I'm pretty proud of myself.
Instant noodle and soda are a bit easier since I have always limit my instant noodle consumption in the past and I just don't drink sodas that much.
But this recipe calls for a coke.. whhooopps...
I just can't help myself from trying this recipe.
I'm not a fan of soda but this recipe I got from Youtube is very intriguing.
I can imagine how the sugar in the cola caramelise, giving the chicken wings that sticky brown glaze and I wasn't disappointed !


Coca Cola Chicken Wings
serving: 2 (4 pieces per person)

Ingredients:
  • 8 pieces of chicken wings
  • 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
  • 3/4 cup of regular coke (not the whole can!)
  • Sprinkle of chilli flakes
  • salt
  • cooking oil
1. Carefully cut the chicken into 3 sections, the drum, the flat and the tip by cutting through the joints. Slice it until you can see the joint and just cut it through. Put the drum and the flat sections into a bowl and discard the tips
2. Add soy sauce into the bowl of wings and stir to coat. Wrap the bowl with cling wrap and marinate the wings for 15-20 minutes, you can also use a plastic bag to marinate the wings for easy clean up
3. After 15/20 minutes, heat up some oil on a frying pan (medium heat) and then add the wings. Arrange them so the wings can fit the pan in one layer. If not, do it in batches.
4. Cook the chicken until golden brown for about 5-6 minutes on each side.
5. When the wings are nice and golden brown, add the coke directly into the pan.
6. Occasionally flip over the wings so that each side can soak up the coke.
7. Let the coke reduces until it turns into a sticky sweet glaze that sticks to the wings. At this stage, add the chillie flakes (if desired) and stir it around.
8. Adjust the seasoning with some salt if the coke glaze is too sweet to your liking
9. Serve hot with a bowl of warm rice, or maybe just by itself.

This is one heck of a recipe.
I added some chilli flakes because i like some heat on my wings ;)
The soy sauce itself is quiet salty so make sure that you control the amount of additional soy sauce or salt that you add !
Eventhough it's not neccessarily the healthiest dish but it's ok to eat this once in a while, right?

I own this sort of protective shield against splatter in my kitchen.
I think it's very useful tool.
Does anyone else own this thing? Or is it just an Asian thing?
Because I certainly feel very Asian for using this. 
For those who are still not sure how to cut the chicken wings into sections, watch this tutorial!
It's a pretty easy thing to do, you should not be afraid to try it.


2 comments:

  1. That looks SOOOOOO delicious! Mmm I want to try some!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I highly recommend you try this one at home.
      It's fairly easy ;)

      Delete