11 Nov 2012

Scrambled Eggs with Asparagus

I have my own preference when it comes to eggs.
Contradicting with the title of this blog, I absolutely hate yolks. 
As you might be guessing by now, I don't eat sunnysideups, soft boiled nor poached eggs. I have a very low tolerance with uncooked, half cooked, runny egg yolks.
I still can eat yolks that are cooked, but I tend to just put them away and eat the white part only, I just don't really like yolks on its own.
But I'm good with omelettes, fritattas and scrambled eggs. Infact, I love them!

I have this very fond memory of making and eating soft scrambled egg ala Gordon Ramsay months ago. I loved it to bits. It was perfectly soft and delicious. Eating that pillow of soft scrambled egg on a piece of sourdough was delightful.
Instead of cream or milk, the recipe calls for a dollop of creme fraiche to be mixed on the very last stage (he said it helps to lower the temperature of the eggs so that it won't overcook. Note taken, Mr. Ramsay!). Mr. Ramsay also said to add seasonings, the duo of salt and pepper at the end to prevent the eggs from being watery. As a noob cook, I don't really understand the point of putting the salt at the end but I'm just going to be a good student and do as he told.
Here's the video of him demonstrating his way of making the perfect scrambled egg


So I made a soft scrambled egg with his 'on-and-off the heat' technique a few minutes ago, minus the creme fraiche (because I don't have any at home right now). I also added some asparagus that I bought last Saturday just to add something special to it.
 Hhhmm.. green veggies..

Soft Scrambled Eggs with Asparagus
Ingredients:
  • 2 fresh eggs
  • a dollop of butter
  • 4 stalks of asparagus (washed, hard-part of the stalk removed, and cut diagonally) 
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • A slice of bread (a thick sourdough is preferred but if you're broke like me, your normal everyday wholemeal bread would do)
1. Melt half of the butter on a pan and then add the asparagus, sautee it for 2-3 minutes 
2. Set aside the asparagus on a corner of the pan then add the remaining butter to the pan, quickly add the eggs and stir with a spatula and mixed them together for 2-3 minutes.
3. put the pan off from heat and continue whisking, then put it back on the heat and keep whisking (repeat this process until you get the consistency of scrambled egg that you want) 
4. While whisking, put the bread in a toaster so it should be ready by the time your egg is cooked. 
5. Add salt and pepper to taste before putting the egg on top of the toast. 


note: Since I'm using a sad thin slice of toast, I think it's better to just put the scrambled egg on its side so it wont get soggy and use it to pick up the egg (as a substitute for a fork). yummy



No comments:

Post a Comment