9 Nov 2012

Tangy Lemon Curd Tart

Made these things last Sunday (4/11/2012) at my friend's house.

This tart is the starting point of the project! woohoo!

After church, Dea and I went to Coles and grabbed all the ingredients needed for the tart and some other additional things that we thought would be good to have in the pantry. For your information, I will be doing a lot of cooking and baking at my friend's house because I don't have an oven at home (boo freaking hoo!), and they will also be joining me in the cooking project !


It was my first ever lemon curd making experience, which turned out to be a bit too sour to my liking.
My friends also said the tart was too tangy. But it's still edible though, so everything's good.

Good thing we bought a pack of melting chocolate chips (eventhough the recipe didn't ask for it) that we can use to combat the sourness.
I melted the chocolate on a bain marie and drizzle it on top of the cooled tart.
Tasted pretty good, but the chocolate turns solid very quickly.


So the questions from this experiment are.....
- Would it help the chocolate stay liquid if I added cream to the melted chocolate and just make a ganache out of it?
- Would it change the texture if I added some gelatine to the curd? - I was scared that the curd wont set properly but it does at the end. I'm just curios if gelatine will affect the texture of the curd if I add it too..


-------------


Here's the recipe that I used for the LEMON CURD TART

Base:

  • 185 gr Nice / Digestive biscuits
  • 120 melted butter (or less)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Lemon Curd :
  • 3 lemons (zest 1 lemon, and squeeze them all)
  • 4 eggs (3 whole, and 1 yolk)
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 135 gr room temperature butter, diced

1. Combine the base ingredients together until it turns into something similar to wet sand, pour it into a loose base pan / tart pan and press it to form the base for the tart. Chill it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes
2. To make the curd, whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl
3. Add lemon zest and 2/3 of the juice into the egg and sugar mixture
4. Place the bowl on top of a pot of boiling water (bain marie style!) and keep whisking until it thickens and turns custardy. Do NOT let the mixture boil.
5. Remove from heat, add the butter and mix until the butter melted and well combined
6. Chill for a couple of minutes in the fridge
7. When the curd became less hot, pour it over the cookie base we made earlier, cover it with cling wrap and fridge overnight (or until set)
8. Additionally, melt some chocolate to drizzle on top of the tart !


That would be all for the first food experiment post :)
It's 1:16 AM already and I'm working at 9 tomorrow. uh oh.
tchuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment