3 Jun 2014

Crunchy and Gooey Marshmallow Rice Krispies Treats

Blob. blob.

It's me again. I'm currently back in Melbourne for a month long holiday.
I think I will write some holiday related posts in near future, just for fun.

Moving on, I cannot stress enough how fast 2014 has been.
Without even realising, it's June already - my absolute favourite month of all time.
It is purely out of a very self-centered reason : It's the month of my birthday.
And this year, I'm turning 22.
Not sure if there is such thing called a post-21-syndrome but I am on that age when I'm torn between two very different situations:
Witnessing some of my friends engaging into a more serious life stage like getting married while some are being ridiculously young and free spirited.

Have you guys realise that getting life advice from these two different groups are so confusing?
A: "You should start to think about marriage"
B: "Yo, let's go on a road trip!"
A: "You should consider the right age to have children - you don't want to be too old to take care of your kids later!"
B: "Chug Chug Chug Chug!!!"
I have no clue which one to listen to, of course.

----------------------------------

So speaking of getting married, a good friend of mine from uni is getting married soon.
I am so happy for her ! This morning I went out for a quick lunch together with brought her these homemade rice krispies treats. I was planning to bake her something like a brownie or cupcake but we ran out of plain flour at home so I resorted to this easy yet scrumptious blocks of sugary goodness.

Didn't really eat rice krispies treats when I was young because you can't really find them in Indonesia, so I cannot really say that this is my childhood snack. I am not familiar with rice krispies treats until a few years ago. No regret though. It's sinfully yummy.

I used both chocolate and plain rice puffs for this recipe because we didn't have enough plain rice puffs. So you can absolutely use whichever you have on hand. You know what will makes these treats even more special? A drizzle of melted chocolate right on top. Yum.



Marshmallow Rice Krispies Treats
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Makes 12 squares

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups of plain rice krispies 
  • 1 1/2 cups of chocolate rice krispies (I used cocopuffs) 
  • 3 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 cups of mini marshmallow or regular marshmallow (cut into 4 small pieces)
  • A pinch of salt
1. Prepare a medium sized square brownie pan by lining it with baking paper (let 2 sides of the baking paper hang out from the pan to make it easier to get the treat out of the pan later)
2.  Melt butter in a non-stick saucepan on low heat
3. When most of the butter are melted, add the marshmallow and stir until all the marshmallows are melted, add a pinch of salt and be sure to keep stirring it. 
4. When the marshmallow are thoroughly melted, take it off the heat
5. Pour in the rice krispies and stir until all the rice krispies are coated with the marshmallow goo.
6. Carefully transfer the mixture into the prepared brownie pan, spread it well and pack it down with a spatula. Smooth out the top with the spatula also.
7. Cool it down for 15-20 minutes and cut it into squares when completely cooled.
8. Store in an airtight container.

These were such a delight.
Surprisingly, they're not as sweet as I thought they would be.
I started to think of many other variations to this recipe.
Maybe a peanut butter version? Or perhaps a nutella version? Maybe add some oats and nuts.. Hhhmm.. I should spare some time to try and make them.
Becareful NOT to eat them all. Keep in mind that it has quiet a high sugar content from all the marshmallows!






No comments:

Post a Comment