5 Apr 2014

Tiramisu (The no-raw-eggs Edition)

So here I am apologising (again) for my inconsistency of running this blog.
Life has been quiet challenging lately. I am currently an intern in the customer service department of a bank, which drastically decrease my spare time . bummer. 
And I'm also adapting to this thing called long distance relationship. Le boyfriend is back in Melbourne, finishing off his study. Being in a long distance relationship is not the most fun thing to be associated with, but I got to do what I got to do and so does him. And if you're reading this, dear. Hello :) I miss you so. freaking. much.

Ok, enough with my personal life.. 



I know I have posted a tiramisu recipe long ago containing raw eggs, which surprisingly didn't make me nauseous and actually really nice. 
I made that tiramisu in a pyrex dish so the light and fluffy cream works really well because I don't have to worry about it plopping into a huge mess when served. 
However, my friend's sister once made this super pretty tiramisu, made in a formspring pan with a fence of lady fingers surrounding the cake, it stood tall and proud, looking really pretty with a ribbon wrapped around it and instantly, I wanted to make one myself. 

A few days ago, I got a chance to actually make my wish come true. It was my boyfriend's friend birthday and I got to make a tiramisu for him. The fancy looking one. whoopiie..
So I was thinking so hard about the construction of the cake. Will it collapse? Will the cream gets firm enough to be handled and transported? And I made quiet a fuss about this.
It took me days to actually develop an understanding and finally I found the answer. There are a lot of different approach to tiramisu and this recipe I'm about to share is a lot safer to be consumed by public because it has cooked yolks instead of raw yolks and no raw egg whites either. God forbid someone gets sick after eating my cake. Nope. Don't want that to happen. ever.

So the method involves cooking the yolks & sugar in a bain marie / hot water bath without incorporating raw whipped egg whites. So the mascarpone mixture feels a bit more creamier and rich rather than light and fluffy and I believe it holds its shape a lot better. So here's the recipe for you guys!

 

Tiramisu 
serves : 22cm springform pan

Ingredients:
  • 400gr lady fingers
  • 1 cup black coffee, chilled / room temperature
  • 1/4 cup orange juice 
  • 3 yolks, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup caster sugar
  • 250 gr mascarpone cheese, room temperature
  • 325ml whipping cream/ heavy cream, chilled (keep in the fridge until used)
  • cocoa powder for garnish
1. Prepare the dunking liquid: Combine the black coffee & orange juice in a small bowl, set aside. *make sure the coffee is not hot or the lady fingers will just break apart once you dunk them in.
2. Prepare a large bowl for your whipping cream and put it in the freezer.
3. Set a ban marie (a bowl sitting on top of a saucepan with simmering water on low heat. Make sure that the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl). Using a mixer, mix together the yolks and caster sugar for about 5 minutes or until the volume is doubled. Remove from heat, set aside to cool.
4. In the prepared chilled bowl, whip the cream until stiff.
5. When the yolk is cool, fold in the mascarpone until just combined
6. Gently fold half of the whipped cream into the yolk and mascarpone mixture until just combined and then fold the rest of the whipped cream.
7. Now's the fun part, assembling the cake!
   - Arrange dry lady fingers on the side of the formspring pan. Trim the bottom part of the cake uniformly so it'll be easier to arrange them.
   - Dip the remaining lady fingers one by one into the dunking liquid for just 1-2 seconds (very quickly!) and then arrange them on the bottom of the pan. Cut and trim them to fit snuggly in the pan.
   - Pour some of the mascarpone batter on top of the soaked lady finger layer. With a spatula, gently spread them evenly
   - Repeat the same procedure with the lady fingers, and then the mascarpone batter. Make sure that the top layer will be the mascarpone layer.
   - Dust some cocoa powder on top and refrigerate it for at least 6 hours but the best is overnight. Do NOT take it out from the springform pan before the required chilling time.
   - 6 hours later / on the next day, carefully open up the springform pan and place a ribbon on the lady finger wall to make it pretty.

This tiramisu is great because it holds it shape really well! But still, it is a very delicate cake so be very gentle with it.
If you're bringing this cake to a party / somewhere else, I suggest you to leave the cake in the springform pan and then open it on the spot.

So that's it for today's post and I'll see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment