6 Dec 2013

Kimchi Fried Rice

Hi everyone..
I'm here to report that I'm still struggling to fit in Jakarta's hectic traffic, pollution and surroundings. 
I've heard that there are so many new restaurants, cafes here but oh boy the traffic really gets into my nerve and I just don't like the idea of being in the car for 2-3 hours just to eat at a hip and trendy cafe. 
Not for now..

Another thing I need to adapt to is the fact that I'm back in my parent's house, or should I say, apartment. New place means new kitchen. I feel like rearranging all the things my mom stuffed in the cabinets because I am pretty selfish when it comes to the kitchen area. 
I am sure that I will be spending most of my time in the kitchen, apart from my bedroom of course.

----------------------------

Alv keeps pushing me to cook for my parents. I don't mind the idea of cooking for others (I love it, actually), but cooking for parents is a bit different with cooking for friends. 
I'm sure my parents have their own distinctive taste when it comes to food. Of course, they have been eating for 50++ years, I'm sure they're really spot on with their food choices. 
It's somehow intimidating for me.

Made this kimchi fried rice since we had kimchi laying around in the fridge. Was a bit unsure whether they'll like it or not. Thank God they ate it and mom gave me thumbs up so I guess I'm off to a good start!

Kimchi Fried Rice
Adapted from Maangchi's kimchi bokkeumbap
serves  3 people

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups cooked rice (left over rice's the best, but if you don't have any, cook some rice and cool it down on a plate for a good 10 minutes)
  • 1 cup chopped kimchi
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 2 cups diced chicken breasts 
  • 1/3 cup cooked edamame beans, peeled off the pods
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tbsp gochujang
  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • Seaweed sheet, cut into strips
  • 1/2 stalk of spring onion, washed and chopped
  • 1 / 2 red chillies, sliced (optional)
  • Salt, sugar and white pepper to taste
1. Season the diced chicken breast pieces with salt and pepper and then cook it on a medium heat. Set aside.
2. Whisk the eggs with some salt. On a pan (medium low heat), make a thin layer of egg by swirling the egg mixture around the pan. Cook it for 1 minute until the egg's not sticking to the pan, then flip it and cook the other side for another 1 minute. Cool it down on a board/plate. When the egg is cool to touch, cut it into strips, set it aside.
3. Set a big pan on medium heat and then add the kimchi, water, cooked chicken pieces, edamames and gochujang. Stir it until the gochujang loosen up and then add the cooked rice. 
4. Stir it together until all the rice is coated with decent amount of the red sauce. Cook it for 3-4 minutes. Adjust the taste by adding some salt , sugar and pepper if needed (I added a pinch of each)
5. Turn off the heat, add in the chopped spring onion and sesame oil. Mix well. 
6. Prepare a large plate and carefully tip over the kimchi fried rice. Top it off with the egg strips, seaweed strips, more of the green onion and the sliced red chilly. Serve warm!

ps. I did step 1 and 2 the night before for faster and easier cooking! It's all about preparations!
Will be posting more stuff soon!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment